The previous Member for Griffith, the Hon Kevin Rudd AC, initiated these awards in 2000. They have been held annually ever since.
Member for Griffith Terri Butler MP commends the recipients of the 2022 Griffith Australia Day Awards have been commended for their extraordinary contributions through their selfless voluntary work within the Southside community.
“These are the unsung heroes of the Southside who work hard for our community every day,” Ms Butler said.
“They ask for no recognition, and the voluntary work they do is not for personal gain. They work exceedingly hard to make our community a better place.”
The 2022 Griffith Australia Day Awards Recipients are:
- Michael and Sonja Ditchmen - Carina Juniors RLFC
- Taryn Flint - Carina Juniors RLFC
- Gary Weir - Holland Parks Hawks Football Club
- Kelly Eggleston - Tangara Retirement Village residents’ committee & social sub-group
- Michelle Koripas - Brisbane State High School P&C
- Nicole Boulton - Cannon Hill State School P&C
- Moorhen Flats Bushcare Group/FREECS - Friends Re-establishing Environmental & Ecological Creek Systems
- Sheeba Taylor - free seed library
- Ellie Bassingthwaighte - Caxton Legal Centre
- Georgie Boyle - Beit Or v'Shalom
- Keith Scaroni - Carina Senior Citizens Club
- Dr Hussein Ali Ahmed and Abdul Mohammed - Queensland Somali Australia Community
- Melissa Townsend - Greenslopes State School P&C
- Jason Mckenzie - Alliance Francaise De Brisbane
- Gayatri Aegerter - Oxford Street Business Association
- Sr Belen Agulia - Canossa Kindergarten
- Leah Dinoris – Raising autism awareness
- Hamilton Westley - Brisbane Jazz Club
- Katie Brooks - San Sisto College
- Lily Huston - San Sisto College
More information about the recipients can be found at http://www.terributlermp.com/news/the-griffith-australia-day-awards/
The Griffith Australia Day Awards recognise selfless volunteers who perform extraordinary or outstanding voluntary work in the Griffith electorate.
The Griffith Australia Day Awards nominees were nominated by locals from our community who have noticed the work of these community trailblazers and were selected by a committee of community leaders.
“I thank the community committee, Chair, Mr Craig Bowen OAM, and committee members, Mr Derek Wood and Ms Faith Hopkins who worked diligently in selecting such highly deserving recipients this Australia Day,” Ms Butler said.
The recipients will be honoured with a special ceremony, to be held by Ms Butler in the coming months, to recognise the Southside’s hardworking volunteers.
WEDNESDAY, 26 JANUARY 2022